Tuesday 5 November 2013

PaperCloth bookmark and no new stash in sight!

Hello peeps, I have finally finished my first paper and cloth project, its only a small bookmark but I was quite pleased with how it came out.

I thought I would do some steps to explain how I made it, but for full details on how to create some amazing projects then I recommend the book "Stitch Alchemy" by Kelli Perkins (mentioned in a previous post) as its SO inspiring.  

So grab and coffee and kick back for a couple of minutes if your interested in how to make one. 


 First I laid out some ironed cotton fabric onto freezer paper (the freezer paper protects the table).  I then mixed PVA with water (about 50/50) and soaked the fabric with it adding torn vintage book pages, tissue paper and pattern tissue paper.  I kept adding the PVA/water until it was all soaked through.


 I added some colour with mica powders and sprayed a little water over to help fix the mica.


 I then left it to dry overnight.


 I then added fabric dye sprays and some water to help the colour flow.  I am sure you could use paper spray ink, but I wasn't sure whether the colour would transfer to other surfaces and I knew that the fabric dye was permanent once heat set so I played it safe.



 I then added some more colour and texture with stamps


Here is the finished sheet.  I then decided to free machine embroidery all over the sheet to add some additional colour and texture.  Now, this was a BIG mistake as I was going to make a patchwork bookmark so when I cut the sheet up the embroidery started to come apart, so I had to unpick it all!  That's an hour of my life I won't be getting back!

I then cut the sheet up into random pieces and sewed them together with a zig zag stitch on the machine to create a long thin piece.  I then backed it with grey felt and machine stitched all around the edges several times.  I finished it off by punching a hole in the bottom, adding an eyelet and some fancy fibres.
 


Voila, a new and unique bookmark using only old stash, but with a new technique.


So there you have it, a nice colourful fabric and paper bookmark using my current stash!  Its so easy to buy new stash (I know, I am terrible with it!!  Missing the NEC this year so I am having withdrawal symptoms but I have SO much stash I really need to concentrate on using up what I already have!!).


Happy crafting

Kyla
 


2 comments:

  1. Hey Kyla. This looks a bit Fabulous! I love the end result. I bet the old TH Colourwash would work well as they do fabric. The new ones don't I believe.
    Great idea - one I may borrow after Christmas.
    Hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow it looks fab, though I'm sure I'd manage to get myself glued and stitched to it if I tried!! Take care Zo xx

    ReplyDelete

Hello, thanks for reading my blog...feel free to leave a comment